DocuSign Identify - ID Verification Q&AWhat is DocuSign Identify & ID Verification
Identify is an open platform to connect any identification method to agreements. ID Verification is a DocuSign offering on Identify that automates the verification of a signer’s government ID or European eID.
- Make sure the envelope is sent to the EXACT name on the recipient's ID (i.e. full legal name, as it appears on the ID document).
- Make sure there is no glare or blur in the captured images of your ID, and that the ID takes up at least 80% of the frame (rotation does not matter).
- Laptop webcams are commonly low resolution, so we recommend verifying your ID using a mobile device. We have a “jump to mobile” experience for the verification step to unblock desktop users, whereby you can have a link sent to your phone via SMS (QR code is also available). This ensures that a higher-quality phone camera is used for ID verification to unlock the document in your desktop browser session.
What countries is this available in?Drivers License / Passport
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Denmark (NemID)
- Finland (Finnish Trust)
- Netherlands (iDIN)
- Norway (BankID)
- Sweden (BankID)
- Belgium (ITSME)
- Brazil ICP
What is being verified on the ID itself? When looking at the ID, we verify that:
- The ID is not expired
- The name exactly matches the envelope as specified by the sender
- The MRZs (machine readable zones), such as the barcode, decode to information that is consistent with the rest of the ID
- Visual features/holograms are consistent with what that ID type should look like
- There is no evidence of tampering in terms of fonts, letter spacing, holes in the ID, etc.
- No calls are made to government databases, however, as many are not even fully online
How does name-matching work?
When the sender specifies the name of the recipient, this is the information we will use to look for that name on the ID. The more information specified by the sender, the more information we will look for on the ID.What are common use cases for ID Verification?
- Financial Services: Account onboarding, Lease and financing, Loans, Wire Transfers
- Insurance: Insurance subscriptions
- HR: Policy eDelivery, Onboarding documents
- Legal / Lawyers: Customer enrollment, NDA, Board meeting minutes
- Pharma: Patient forms, Clinical trial onboarding, GxP agreements
- Services: Statement of work, acceptance letters
Do you store the IDs?No: we only use them for processing at this time.